"The reader comes away with strategies for implementation and the confidence to create win-win classrooms and support students in self-management."
-Jo Ann Freiberg, Educational Consultant
"Includes more examples than any other book of its kind I've ever read."
-Stephen Haslam, Educational Consultant
"The focus throughout this book is on effective classroom strategies for setting up a win-win environment where everyone's needs are met and there are fewer power struggles to disrupt instruction"
-Wendy Marshal, Director, Educational Technology Training Center
Armstrong Atlantic State University
At the start of your career or at the end of your rope…
When it comes to student behavior challenges in the classroom, conventional practices and punitive discipline codes often fail to motivate students to change their attitudes or behavior. Recognized for defining a nontraditional approach that really works, Jane Bluestein offers educators ways to prevent discipline problems, build student accountability, and end frustrating power struggles with kids of all ages.
This authoritative, research-based guidebook discusses the impact of stress, brain functioning, learning styles, and social and emotional issues on student behavior. You’ll find examples, guidelines, charts, and anecdotes, along with practical, powerful, and effective ideas to help you:
- Avoid falling into the "rules and punishment" trap
- Establish win-win authority relationships while defusing conflict and opposition
- Build a positive, caring, and emotionally safe learning climate
- Encourage student cooperation, motivation, self-management, and on-task behavior
- Engage even the most defiant, defeated, or resistant learner by using powerful alternative strategies
The Win-Win Classroom will change the way you interact with students and help you build a positive social culture within your school and classroom.