All the essential garden tasks are shown step by step, with over 950 clear colour photographs and illustrations. Covers everything from planning and design to planting, propagation, care and cultivation through each season
- Learn essential gardening skills and techniques from planning and basic maintenance to planting and caring for trees, shrubs, climbers, bulbs, annuals and perennials
- Each technique is clearly explained with step-by-step pictures taking you through every stage
- Includes information on growing vegetables, herbs and fruit, greenhouse gardening, building rock and water gardens, and propagation
- Basic advice on garden maintenance including how to improve your soil and achieve a weed-free lawn
- A comprehensive seasonal checklist highlights the essential tasks to do throughout the year
- An essential reference guide for new gardeners and those who want to extend their gardening expertise
- Over 950 stunning colour photographs and illustrations
Whether you are an experienced gardener or a complete beginner, this book contains everything that you need to know about planning, planting and maintaining your garden. It includes all the essential gardening skills, from design and maintenance techniques to ideas for more adventurous projects, such as building a pond.
The book begins with simple design ideas and advice about planning lawns, beds and borders, with straightforward instructions for laying paths, putting down decking and erecting fences. The sections that follow are packed with useful advice, including how to improve your soil and how to achieve a perfect, weed-free lawn. There's plenty of practical information on using a huge variety of plants, from trees and shrubs to climbers, bulbs and border flowers, and essential advice on what to buy, as well as guidance on planting and pruning. You'll find out, too, how to transform your courtyard and home with glorious ideas for planting patio pots and window boxes.
The book then builds on this basic knowledge to suggest more spectacular ideas for gardens. It explains how to create and plant ponds, and incorporate simple and eye-catching water features, and gives practical advice on preparing and planting a bog garden and a rock garden.
Once the flower garden is under control you can discover how easy it is to grow all kinds of fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables. This section includes illustrated information on every aspect of the kitchen garden from planning, sowing and planting to harvesting and storing, with plenty of practical advice about growing crops in a greenhouse.
The final sections cover the skills you will need to keep your garden in tip-top shape, from weeding, feeding and pest control to propagation, and includes an at-a-glance checklist of essential tasks to do throughout the year.
Packed with hundreds of illustrated step-by-step techniques, this classic compendium will help you plan, plant - and enjoy - your perfect garden.