This book provides a comprehensive description of Radio Access Networks for UMTS
. The main content is based upon the release 6 version of the 3GPP specifications. Changes since the release 99 version are described while some of the new features from the release 7 version are introduced.
Starting from the high-level network architecture, the first sections describe the flow of data between the network and end-user. This includes a dedicated chapter describing the Iub transport network. Detailed descriptions of both HSDPA and HSUPA reflect the increasing importance of efficient high data rate connections. Signalling procedures are described for speech, video and PS data connection establishment, SMS data transfer, soft handover and inter-system handover. The more practical subjects of link budgets and radio network planning are also addressed.
- More than 180 example log files reinforce the reader's understanding
- Summary bullet points allow rapid access to the most important information
- Focus upon how data is transferred between the network and end-user
- Dedicated chapters provide detailed descriptions of both HSDPA and HSUPA
- Step-by-step analysis of common signalling procedures
- Key radio network planning subjects addressed
Radio Access Networks for UMTS is ideal for mobile telecommunications engineers working for equipment vendors, operators and regulators. It will also appeal to system designers, technical managers and students.