On the Obersalzberg near Berchtesgaden Adolf Hitler had rented a small house in 1927, which he acquired in 1933 and expanded into the pompous "Berghof" in 1936.
The immediate surroundings became a restricted zone, long-time local inhabitants had to leave their houses becoming victims to demolition. In their place, the "Fuhrer" had big SS Barracks built, Administrative Buildings, and Residential Houses for his closest confidants. At the end of April 1945, an allied air raid destroyed a great part of the buildings.
Since 1999 the Obersalzberg Documentation Centre has provided the necessary information about a dark past at an idyllic site.