There is a rapidly increasing number of food and wine festivals taking place around the world and many new festivals and events are now being developed as a deliberate part of a regional or national tourism strategy. It is now recognised that food and wine festivals and events can play a significant role in rural and urban development and regeneration and the impacts of these events can be far ranging at a social, political, economic and environmental level.Food and Wine Festivals and Events Around the World: development, management and markets
is a pioneering text that recognises the importance of this area of the tourism industry. It brings together an international contributor team of experts and uses leading research to examine the specialist nature of the food and wine festival/event and the linkages that exist between food, festivity and place.
Divided into three parts, the book looks at Food Festivals, Wine /Drink Festivals and Farmers Markets. Each section has an introductory chapter which will set the context and provide an overview of current activity in that particular area.
* Uses international case studies to illustrate best practise and contextualise theory. For example, Ramadan festivals in Malaysia, food and drink festivals in Japan, festival based culinary tourism in the US, the Valley wine festival in Western Australia, farmers markets in the UK and many more.
* Contains results of ?cutting edge? research carried out at specific food and wine events and festivals, which illustrate best practise and demonstrate the diversity of research methods and events
* Suitable for those studying in the fields of tourism, event management, gastronomy/culinary arts, food marketing, rural development, heritage tourism
special interest tourism and cultural studies
* The first book specifically devoted to the subject of food and wine related events and festivals - one of the fastest growing niches in the tourism and event industries
* International case studies from Australia, UK, Malaysia, New Zealand and USA amongst others, reveal the back-stage reality of the food and tourism experience
* Contains cutting edge research illustrating best practise, with international contributions from leading names in academia and industry