"Essentials of Terrorism is an ideal anchor textbook for investigating the many aspects of terrorism, political violence, and homeland security. That it is easily adapted to these subjects means that instructors will be able to design a variety of instructional packages around it. In this way, the text is a versatile resource." -SirReadaLot.org
Essentials of Terrorism: Concepts and Controversies
is a comprehensive yet compact resource that provides a thorough introduction to many facets of the world of modern terrorism. This briefer, captivating version of Gus Martin’s popular text Understanding Terrorism, Second Edition is an effective stand-alone textbook for undergraduate classes. It can also be used effectively in conjunction with other resources, such as Martin’s collection of readings The New Era of Terrorism or with other supplemental books or journal articles for an upper-level undergraduate or master’s level audience. Key Features
• Provides a foundation for understanding terrorism: Extensive coverage in Chapter 1 helps readers grasp and define the concept of terrorism; each chapter includes extensive historical background.
• Presents simple, helpful pedagogical aids to bolster learning: Chapter introductions, chapter perspectives, chapter summaries, discussion boxes, and a glossary bring key concepts to life for students.
• Offers engaging coverage of cutting-edge issues: The author addresses contemporary topics, including gender-selective terrorism, media coverage of terrorism issues and related ethical issues, the Internet and terrorism, and religious terrorism. Martin provides additional coverage of the conflict in Iraq to illustrate its impact on international terrorism.
• Includes stimulating illustrative aids: Maps and dramatic photos help show the locations of terrorist activity and the devastation caused by terrorist activity; tables and figures allow readers to conduct valuable comparison research and analysis. Ancillaries
• A student study site is available containing introductions to journal articles, recommended Web sites, full-text journal articles tied to each chapter, e-flashcards, Web exercises, and more. www.sagepub.com/martinessstudy
• Instructors’ Resources on CD-ROM
provide professors with a test bank, maps, PowerPoint presentations, activity and lecture suggestions, and more. Intended Audience:
This is an excellent text, either alone or with readings or other materials, for undergraduate and graduate courses in Terrorism, Homeland Security, International Security, Criminal Justice Administration, Political Conflict, Armed Conflict, and Social Movements in departments of criminal justice, sociology, and political science. It is also suitable for professionals who require instruction in understanding terrorism.