Secrets Every Pregnant Woman Should Know
From a skilled expert with 15 years of experience as a professional birth coach and an award-winning "Wall Street Journal" reporter comes the definitive guide to giving birth with a doula, and the secrets these practitioners use to help new mothers through labor.
Here is your guide to the fastest-growing trend in childbirth--a tradition as old as motherhood itself. "Doulas, "or professional labor assistants, have led thousands of expectant women through the birthing process in a way that's safe and meaningful, and that creates the birth and postbirth experience all mothers long for.
What exactly do" "doulas do?
How to find one that suits "you.
"What are the "trade secrets" only doulas know but every woman should be aware of (even if you "don't "have a doula)?
In The Doula Guide to Birth," "senior-level doula Ananda Lowe and award-winning health reporter Rachel Zimmerman have written a most comprehensive book that draws on the wisdom of these skilled experts, whose experience with doctors, midwives, nurses, and hospitals makes them invaluable advocates before, during, and after birth.
* Labor techniques anyone can use
* Pain medication: do you, don't you--and when?
* What dads and loved ones need and can do best
* When should you "really" go to the hospital in labor?
* How to prepare for unexpected medical procedures, including cesareans and epidural
* Postpartum--what it's really like
* A clip-out chart of labor techniques, birth plan worksheets, and much more
Combining science, wit, warmth, and support, as well as the inspirational stories of dozens of mothers and their partners, you'll find the "doula viewpoint" on every major pregnancy and delivery issue, making this one of the most important childbirth books you'll ever read and recommend.