This useful book is written from a medical perspective and is aimed at academics as well as medical and biomedical engineering students who want to become involved in the design, development, manufacturing or use of prostheses or medical devices. It covers basic information on the complexities of implant and medical device development. The design process, technology assessment, animal experiments, histocompatibility, tissue compatibility and infections are described. In addition, examples of biomaterial applications are presented, showing the diversity of biomaterials.
This is the first book that guides the reader through the complicated process of medical product development. Different technical and medical aspects of medical implants are highlighted by a group of authors who are actively involved in biomaterial research at the University Medical Center of Groningen, one of the leading hospitals in The Netherlands.
- Design of Biomedical Products (G J Verkerke & E B van der Houwen);
- Animal Models in Biomaterials Research (G Rakhorst et al.);
- Technology Assessment (J M Hummel);
- Haemocompatibility of Medical Devices (W van Oeveren);
- Tissue and Cell Interactions with Materials (T G Van Kooten & R Kuijer);
- Biomaterial-associated Surgery and Infection A Review of the Literature (P G M Maathuis et al.);
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass and Postoperative Organ Dysfunction (Y J Gu);
- Mechanical Circulatory Support Systems (G Rakhorst & M E Erasmus);
- Biomaterial-related Infections in Orthopedic Implants (D Neut & R L Diercks);
- Biomaterials for Voice Reconstruction (G J Verkerke et al.);
- Biomaterials in Ophthalmology (S A Koopmans & V W Renardel de Lavalette);
- Biomaterials in Plastic Surgery (M F Meek);
- Surgical Meshes Morphology-dependent Bacterial Colonization (A F Engelsman).